DIY Homemade Taco Seasoning
Each week, we celebrate TACO TUESDAY in our house! My kids love it! While I do get creative lots of weeks & don’t serve traditional tacos per se, we still go through a lot of taco seasoning. Store bought packets are easy, but they’re loaded with tons of excess sodium & preservatives, so I decided awhile back to try my hand at a DIY Homemade Taco Seasoning … which turned out to be so much easier than I thought, cheaper than buying the individual packets, and tastier than any store-bought option I have ever tried!
This recipe is adapted from Family Fresh Meals.
This simple combination of flavorful spices can be easily adapted to fit personal preferences & can be used in ANY recipe that calls for a “taco seasoning packet” – like our delicious Taco Pie! Just use 2 tbsp. of the below recipe for each 1 lb of meat (or each 1 pkg of taco seasoning called for). This recipe will make bold mild tacos with a little kick to them, but you can easily turn up the heat by adding 1 tsp of Crushed Red Pepper to the mix! Want to make your tacos over-the-moon amazing?! Add 1/2 c. of salsa to the meat & seasoning!! Oh yes, it makes all the difference!
This Tuesday, borrow our tradition and have tacos!! You may decide to make it a weekly occurence! And be sure to follow our Taco Tuesday board on Pinterest for even more ideas! Oh – and feel free to leave any “Taco Tues” suggestions in the comments – like I said, I’m always on the hunt for fun new recipes to spice up our Tuesday!
The recipe below includes all you need to know to make the taco seasoning AND how to convert that homemade mix into the world’s best tacos! Don’t take my word for it – try it yourself!
NEVER buy store-bought Taco Seasoning packets again! This DIY homemade taco seasoning recipe is so easy & includes all ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. Say goodbye to sodium-filled, preservative-laden taco mixes - and hello to this simple money-saving & healthier option!
For the Taco Seasoning:
- 2 tbsp. Chili Powder
- 3 tsp ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder (or Onion Granules)
For the Tacos:
- 1lb ground Beef
- 2 tbsp. Homemade Taco Seasoning (instructions below)
- 3/4 c. Water
- 1 tbsp. Flour
- Taco Shells or Tortillas
- Taco Toppings (lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream, avocado, corn, black beans, etc)
To Make Taco Seasoning:
- Combine all seasoning ingredients & stir until well mixed.
- Store in an airtight container, in the pantry.
To Make Tacos:
- Brown 1lb of beef in a skillet over medium/high heat. Spoon out extra oil & liquid (discard).
- In a small bowl, whisk together water & flour to form a watery "slurry". Set aside.
- Return skillet & meat to the stove & add 2 tbsp. of Homemade Taco Seasoning (recipe above). Pour flour "slurry" over meat & stir until seasoning is well distributed. Simmer meat over medium-low heat until thick, 3-5 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly & thicken before serving with your favorite taco shells & toppings.
This recipe will yield a "mild" taco seasoning - perfect for the whole family. For a spicier seasoning, add 1/2 tsp of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes to the seasoning mix.
FromFoodieWithLove.com All rights reserved.
This post may contain link(s) to affiliate(s). See my disclosure policy for more information.